Written by the Style Girlfriend (check her out here: http://www.stylegirlfriend.com/)
Is there any holiday on the calendar with more expectations than New Year’s Eve? Each December we build up this night to be the Most Important Party of the Year—the bash that sets the tone for all bashes to come in January and beyond. While there’s usually an anti-climactic element to this kind of build-up (a party is rarely as great as all that pressure implies), you can at least look the part of a Party of the Year attendee.
True, New Year’s Eve tends to conjure up images of men in tuxedos and women in sparkly gowns at a fantastic, over-the-top party akin to the one J. Lo’s seminal music video, “Waiting For Tonight.” But let’s be honest, that’s not how most of us roll. From a laid-back college party to a sophisticated dinner at home – and even for that big night on the town – we’ve got sharp outfit ideas that will set the tone for a well-dressed 2015.
What To Wear To…
THE COLLEGE KEGGER
- The Look: No need to stress over your ensemble when you’re headed for a laid-back college party on New Year’s Eve. Classic sneakers, jeans and a sweatshirt will do the trick—just make sure your grooming game is on point in case you lock eyes with a Solo cup-toting cutie across the flip cup table.
- The Key Piece: Casual doesn’t have to mean lazy—pairing a hooded sweatshirt with these Original Penguin slim-fit, vintage wash jeans lends a little bit of style and structure to a comfortable look. (Cuff them once for extra points.)
AN INTIMATE DINNER PARTY
- The Look: For a night in with friends, the goal is to look put-together but totally at ease. Acknowledge the hard work your host put into this evening by smartening up a plaid shirt by tucking it in and adding a tie, then just wear your favorite pair of dark denim jeans and leather boots. (Don’t forget the bottle of wine!)
- The Key Piece: A plaid shirt like this should be a staple in your winter wardrobe. It easily goes from casual to party-ready with a quick tuck and a tie.
A NIGHT OUT AT “DA CLUB”
velvet blazer, Original Penguin | dress shirt, Theory | suit trousers, Polo Ralph Lauren | overcoat, Our Legacy | pocket square, Duchamp | dress shoes, Johnston & Murphy | socks, Barneys New York | tie,Banana Republic
- The Look: If ever there were an occasion to dress-to-impress, a New Year’s Eve out on the town certainly checks the “Let’s do this” box. Change up your usual semi-formal style with a velvet blazer, paired with a pair of suit pants, dress shoes and a subtly patterned tie. Then turn on the charm and lock down that midnight kiss.
- The Key Piece: An investment jacket you’ll reach for again and again, the velvet blazer channels the red carpet style of snappy dressers like Matthew McConaughey and Chris Hemsworth.
What are your plans for New Year’s Eve this year?
This article brought to you by Original Penguin. Thanks for supporting the brands that make SG possible!